Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: No one wants responsibility

From: Paul Franson <pfranson () VIROLOGIC COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:58:51 -0700

Unless Mr. Clueless (the Canadian ISP) is a Tier 1 provider, he has an
upstream.  They have rules too, and those rules most certainly do apply to
their customers' customers.  A quick e-mail (copying Sr. Clueless' response
to you) to the NOC, Security, and legal addresses of that Tier 1 sometimes
gets a response.

The first paragraph of the RR AUP
http://help.rr.com/repository/620/e21_rr_acceptableuse_policy.html says:

'Unauthorized attempts to enter or bypass the security of the Road Runner
network or Road Runner infrastructure without prior authorization is
strictly prohibited. Likewise, attempting to "crack", bypass, or compromise
the security of any other Internet user or network is prohibited. This
includes, but is not limited to, port scans, "root" compromise attempts,
IRC-related incidents (k-lines), and tools such as Back Orifice or other
"exploits" designed for such purposes.'