Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: big increase in ftp scanning

From: Gregory A Lundberg <lundberg () VR NET>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:15:05 -0500

i've seen a ton of ftp scans in the last week.

I've seen a few over the past several months.  Mostly one or two sites a
day, two or three days a week.  Frankly, it wasn't enough of an increase
following the hack earlier this year to get me interested.

they have come from:

62.226.217.222 (p3EE2D9DE.dip.t-dialin.net)
64.209.232.25 (isengard.iad4.gctr.net)
62.20.37.140 (basecamp.gotland.se)
24.28.122.195 (cs28122-195.houston.rr.com)
24.162.74.203 (cs16274-203.austin.rr.com)

I'm seeing a lot more geographic dispersion, but the clusters are Pacific
rim (mainly China and Japan), and the Pacific coast of US.

As for these type of scans, looks like they are world wide and are
mainly targeted at Linux.

My honeypot says most of them are just scanning.  The few that try a crack
are using the broken, published crack instead of taking the time to fix it.
Interestingly, the crack attempts are pretty fairly distributed over the
historical cracks; while the latest is the most common, it's not much more
common that older attacks.  So I'm guessing most of this activity is
clueless script kids.