Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: big increase in ftp scanning

From: Thomas Molina <tmolina () HOME COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:11:47 -0600

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 15:58:56 -0800
From: Ian Eure <ieure () SICKFUCK ORG>
To: INCIDENTS () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Subject: big increase in ftp scanning

i've seen a ton of ftp scans in the last week.

they have come from:

62.226.217.222 (p3EE2D9DE.dip.t-dialin.net)

I didn't see any ftp scans from t-dialin.net, but I did see several
tries for http (1080 and 80) as well as tries for pop servers (110).

I don't normally see a lot of scans for ftp daemons.  Usually they are
trying for http and pop servers or open mail relays.

However, checking my logs, I did see a big spike in probes for tcp port
23 between 8 and 20 Oct.  These were mainly from two subnets, sonic.net
and adelphia.net.  This activity seemed to tail off almost entirely
after 21 Oct.