Security Incidents mailing list archives

Scanning. Is it a consumer right?

From: prestone () BULLDOG GEORGETOWN EDU (ethan preston)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 22:12:11 -0400

Security is a two-way street and I think the issue of scanning brings
that to the forefront. Our own security (which should be something like
a natural right in computer science)is threatened by the insecurity of
others. If no other machines were ever compromised, crackers would be
less able to disguise their origin in a meaningful way. Therefore we
would be able to focus on tracking crackers down and deterring them,
rather than playing catch-up on plugging the hole in our system that we
haven't found yet.

So you have an interest in keeping other's servers secure. IANAL, but
I'm about a year out from graduation. (This isn't legal advice, you have
not formed a client-attorney relationship, blah, blah, blah.) The idea
that third-party servers that are negligent in securing their system
should be liable (in order to provide incentive to make people take
reasonable steps to secure their system) has been much discussed in
legal circles.

It seems to me that, if the legal system has given us an interest in
third-party security, consumers should have a corresponding right to
ensure that they are not ensuring their credit card number to a server
that has a three-year old vulnerability (that's been patched for almost
as long) in their implementation of Front Page and has 3y3oWnj00 as a
user in their NetBIOS register. The consumer can find this out from a
scan by Nessus, but I think a lot of us would think that a full Nessus
scan crosses the line between mere OS fingerprinting and into invasive
scanning.

We all depend, to some degree, on third party security. Consumers may
place their privacy and their credit card numbers in the hands of
servers that can be negligent. If we decide consumers SHOULDN'T have a
right to scan, then their only recourse is legal. (Which is great for me
and every other lawyer, but would be an overall loss to society, I
think.) Allowing consumers to scan reduces the transaction costs of poor
security; if you have poor security, consumers know it and stay away
from you, rather than trusting you and having to buy lawyers when you
are r00ted seven months later.

Obviously, one way around this is to let consumers request permission to
scan, but somehow I don't think this is going to be a real solution. If
faced with such a request, I wonder how many of you would agree to be
scanned? It's a matter of trust, because who's to say that the consumer
isn't a cracker (or won't become one)?