Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: tcp port 8000 from ss06.live365.com

From: AlexM () CHANCERY COM (Alex McCubbin)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 12:55:44 -0700

Makes sense that it came from a "broadcast station" as typically in my experience that port is used for Nullsoft's
Shoutcast server software (of WinAMP fame)...  They might have momentarily misconfigured a relay IP or someone on your
network is trying to set up a shoutcast server... =)

However, if that's not the case, I've heard that the NTMail product may have used port 8000 as well...
http://www.ntmail.co.uk/ - specifically http://www.ntmail.co.uk/support/faq/index.htm?number=142&method=number

Cheers, Alex.