Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Cracked by the Brazilians

From: mrseth () PHYSICS GMU EDU (Seth Milder)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 01:19:00 -0500

Robert Graham wrote:

Message begins: "My Server runs Bind-8.2"
Message queries: "How did they get in?"
Answer:
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/788.html

I swore that I had updated BIND on all my machines. I did...except for
that one.

It is also extremely dangerous to expose PostgreSQL, NFS, and NIS to the
Internet. You should probably reconsider that.

Is there any better alternatives to NFS? What about keeping a
restrictive securenets file for NIS? Is NIS so bad that there is nothing
that can be done with it? I also need to run some sort of database. The
postgres account was locked. I did not think that was an issue. I was
only using it through Java servlets via the JDBC driver. Sorry if I am
clueless, but I am no CS guy and the only reason I am an admin is
because I am the least worst person in the department for the job as
they cannot afford a real one. I would like to thank everyone for their
comments and any clues that they can impart to me are always welcome.

Thanks again,

Seth

P.S. If I disable all the IPMASQ modules except for ftp, does this buy
me anything security-wise?