Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd UPD scan

From: billp () ROCKETCASH COM (Bill Pennington)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:19:09 -0800

Well this is what I found. This is a little sloppy as I have had a rough
weekend:-).

Basically I grep'ed -c my daily firewall logs for /137, each line should
represent one packet dropped. These numbers might be a bit low since I
am logging to syslog so you will get Last line repeated X times and that
will not show up in my grep.

So... Here are my daily counts

03-12-2000 2052
03-13-2000 5969
03-14-2000 2478
03-15-2000 2946
03-16-2000 2193
03-17-2000 919
03-18-2000 2624

total 19181

So these are packets. I could not find what the standard UDP Netbios
query packet length was so I looked at a snort box I had access to and
it seems all the UDP/137 - UDP/137 packet sizes are 58 bytes in length.

So if we go with that number

19181 packets x 58 bytes per packet = 1112498 bytes = a little over 1
meg in a week.

The site that these stats are from does not run any Netbios services and
does not run IIS. It has SMTP, HTTP and HTTPS ports open for inbound. So
this is all traffic we did not "request". I was trying to think of
another service that caused this amount of unwanted traffic and I could
not. I mean IPX/SPX and Appletalk are generally very noisy but TCP/UDP
should be a bit more elegant IMHO.

It would be intersting to find out how much bandwidth is getting chewed
up at sites like yahoo.com and amazon.com. I bet it is quite a lot.
Maybe ISP's should block this traffic outbound by default. I think that
would go a long way it combating this bandwitdh hog/security risk. That
is probally just a dream since a lot do not even stopped outbound
spoofed traffic.

Bill Pennington wrote:

Thats funny Graeme I was thinking the same thing (M$ eating bandwidth)
last night while falling asleep. I mean I turned of netbios detects on
my IDS cause they where blabing every second and I don't run NetBios
services anyway, but my firwall logs are full of denied UDP/137 traffic.
For people that are charged for bandwidth this could be a real issue.

Maybe when I have some time I will do a few calculations to determine
how much traffic I get to UDP/137 on an average day.