Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port 6112

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:09:48 -0800

The game Diablo running on BattleNet servers will use this port.
http://www.battle.net/support/faq/mac.shtml

Are you seeing such things as "scans" or just a bunch of connection
attempts? Remember that if you dialup the Internet, you will likely get
"scanned" the moment you logon. What is really happening is that your have
inheritted the IP address of somebody else who was playing a game or
chatting. Some products are very agressively at trying to reestablish the
connection, so you may be getting TCP connection requests or UDP packets
even 20 minutes later.

There are LOTs of these applications out there; so if you see the same
request over and over soon after dialing up, this is amost certainly the
cause. On the other hand, some hackers do "camp" on dialup ranges, waiting
for somebody to dialup that has the particular vulnerability they are
looking for.

Robert Graham