Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Cracked; rootkit - entrapment question?

From: mstone () CS LOYOLA EDU (Michael Stone)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:25:35 -0500

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 12:41:13PM -0500, CL: Nelson, Jeff wrote:
I have contacted the FBI regarding several issues. Some of those issues were
scans from foreign countries not necessarily friendly to the U.S. We have
one case pending with them for prosecution (stateside). Seth is correct. The
FBI will not pursue a case if there is not a specific minimum dollar amount
associated with the loss. The last I heard from them on this (over 1 year
ago) that amount was $25,000. Our loss, per the FBI, is tallied based upon
time and materials used to stop the attack and to repair. I calculated our
loss for the case we have pending to be less than $15,000. I am expecting
the agents in charge of this case to tell me they will not be able to go
further.

How much taxpayer money should be spent on investigating a case that
won't go anywhere?

--
Mike Stone