Security Incidents mailing list archives

auto-reporting to ISPs

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:47:44 -0800

Below is an e-mail from a customer who would like to see us add an
auto-email feature to our product in order to notify the ISP of the
offending hacker. This is pretty funny because we've already seen some
complaints by ISPs from such a feature in other products appear on this list
over the past couple of days.

Could abuse@isp people please send me e-mail:
* what is the proper way a product like BlackICE Defender should assist the
user in reporting such events?
* what should I tell this user about why we haven't put such a simple
feature into the product?

Thanks,
Robert Graham
CTO/Network ICE