Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: @home: Is *anyone* really home there???

From: thalakan () TECHNOLOGIST COM (Jason Spence)
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:19:53 -0800

Wozz wrote:

The overuse of these home "firewall" solutions is making overall security
worse, IMHO.  I spend a majority of my time at work filtering through stuff
like this, and not spending time working on things that would actually improve
security.  Thankfully, I've just recently gotten approval to hire someone to
just sit there and sift through all this junk for me.

I'm in a very similar situation, and I look at it as an opportunity to
educate the users (finally I have a reason!).  They're either going to
complain to us or to the FBI's cybercrime unit about these problems.  If we
intervene, we get a chance to educate them about good security practices and
everyone is happy.  If the FBI intervenes, then they're going to take
responsibility and all sorts of undesirable things happen.

 - Jason