Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Account probing for spam relay.

From: pauls () UTDALLAS EDU (Paul L Schmehl)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 09:11:52 -0500

I believe you are mistaken.  If you look at the From: line, you'll see the
words "Spade relay check".  That is the signature of Sam Spade, an
anti-spam tool that is very popular.  (See http://www.samspade.org for
details.)

Is it possible spam was relayed through your honeypot?  The Sun version of
sendmail that you're running is well known for allowing mail relaying.
That would explain why someone would use Sam Spade to check for relaying.
They were trying to verify that you do relay before sending a complaint.

If you're going to keep running sendmail on your honeypot, at least put a
secure version that disallows relaying on it.

--On Sunday, June 11, 2000 11:57 AM -0500 Lance Spitzner