Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Account probing for spam relay.

From: kweiske () KATAAN ORG (Kurt Weiske)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:06:03 -0700

Fromthe user name (Spade Relay Check) it looks like they were using Sam
Spade (http://www.spade.org). As far as I can tell, Sam Spade doesn't allow
for searching a range of addresses, making it an unlikely tool for a spammer
looking for relays.

It looks like your honeypot allowed the mail relay - maybe this person
received UCE/UBE relayed through your honeypot, found the IP address of your
system in the headers, and is investigating?

In the meantime, you might want to turn sendmail off on your system, or at
least confirm that it doesn't allow relay mail to be sent through it.

--k