Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: tin.it and others non collaborative isps.

From: gr () ECLIPSED NET (gabriel rosenkoetter)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:31:52 -0400

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 07:02:19PM -0300, Osvaldo Janeri Filho wrote:
      IMHO it's a good idea if we unite and block ips from ISP's like
tin.it. They will collaborate as soon as their clients start to complain
that they can't access some address. What about a page that contains all
the IPs that we must block and the reasons for that?

This is Grade A1 Bad Idea.

Once such a list is formed, who controls it?

Who gets say in what is "good" and "bad"?

How long before it comes to be based on opinion or rumor rather than
actual evidence?

Such a list makes too good a political and monetary weapon.

It's not a just a slippery slope, it's an extremely steep incline.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net