Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: UDP to 161

From: fygrave () EPR0 ORG (CyberPsychotic)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 08:39:02 +0500

~:SNMP is a pretty safe bet.  I'm not aware of anyone writing a trojan to
~:use 161 yet, though there are several with user definable ports.  SNMP
~:scans happen pretty frequently, both malicious and on accident.

 True indeed. We had a flow of SNMP packets from some Moscow ISP. The
funny thing was that it was caused by some sick network printer which was
constantly dropping a few bits to zero in the IP address while talking to
its monitoring workstation (and was hitting our nameserver instead) :).