Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ports ports and more ports

From: getch () RM-R NET (David Getchell)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:55:47 -0600

Hello Tyler,

T> On a side note, anyone know why /robots.txt is being requested maybe 3-4
T> times daily on my webserver? It happens quite often, and with other
T> webservers too. I'm not too concerned about it just a little curious.

Well behaved robots request that file first before requesting anything
else from your site.  This allows you to keep search engine spiders from
rummaging about in your cgi scripts, etc.  See
http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/projects/robots/norobots.html.

Most of this is probably search engine spiders.  If you are curious, see
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/spiders.html for more advice
on figuring out what is visiting you.  For a nice reference chart, see
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/spiderchart.html.

--
Best regards,
 David                            mailto:getch () rm-r net