Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New to this and need help plz!!

From: Dave Woods <dave () TECHWEAVERS NET>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:57:50 -0700

[**] IDS292 - WEB FRONTPAGE - Frontpage-shtml.dll [**]
12/27-06:46:04.461674 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:48731-> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80
TCP TTL:244 TOS:0x0 ID:4692 DF
*****PA* Seq: 0xC621C4EA Ack: 0x243699 Win: 0x2238

I have recieved a total of 27 of these from that one source, going to my
webserver. No kidding eh being port 80 =] Now from my understanding this
can
be legit traffic. Now i dns'd the ip and its a large consulting/industry
company. I checked out with a sales rep and we do sell products to this
company. However from what i read from Whitehats.com i dont see a reason
why
this should happen from a customer. So i really dont know how to address
this. Can someone please help me out? Should i contact the network
administrator from that company about this?

A quick search for shtml.dll yielded these results:

http://www.securityfocus.com/vdb/bottom.html?vid=1594
http://www.securityfocus.com/vdb/bottom.html?vid=1435
http://www.securityfocus.com/vdb/bottom.html?vid=1174

These are the known issues with that dll maybe someone is trying to perform
on of these attacks but then again I know nothing about Front Page / IIS

Sincerely,
David Woods
Techweavers Inc.
dave () techweavers net