Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS Scanning for blocking

From: Abe Getchell <agetchel () KDE STATE KY US>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:52:56 -0500

Hi Zeffie,
        I will give you advice, but in return ask for one pass to the
establishment in question.  Leave it at the front door and tell 'em my name!
=D  Seriously though...
        What they're doing isn't illegal, at least in Kentucky.  There was a
law was passed back in 1998 (SB230) which required us (being the Department
of Education) to provide filtering services for all of our 1400 schools
across the entire state.  These filtering services must keep K-12 students
(or at least make it reasonably difficult for them) from accessing
pornography on the Internet.  A lot of the filtering is being done by
programs like the one you mention.  So instead of being illegal, it is
actually explicitly _legal_ for them to do this here.  Keep in mind that
you're dealing with two different issues here: them scanning your network,
and them adding your domain to a list that they block access too using their
product; I speak above too the latter of these issues.  As to the issue of
the scan, it is actually explicitly _illegal_ here in Kentucky as there are
local laws which state that a 'probe' against a computer network is a
jailable offence.  Check your local laws and proceed with caution; I'd
imagine these guys pay a lot of money every year for legal assistance.

Thanks,
Abe

Abe L. Getchell - Security Engineer
Division of System Support Services