Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DOS From "inktomi.com"?

From: Dan Hollis <goemon () ANIME NET>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:16:16 -0700

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Vonelm, William J wrote:
  We've just had one of our web servers pummeled into the ground by repeated
cgi requests from what appears to be a web-crawler from "inktomi.com".  Has
anybody else experienced this?  Is it some kind of malicious web Denial of
Service attack or just a poorly constructed web crawler?

The latter.

Around may or so of last year inktomi saw fit to pummel my personal
webserver into the ground.

Not only that inktomi likes to portscan a lot. There is not, never has
been, and never will be, an http server on our nameserver. Yet inktomi saw
fit to pummel it with http requests for months.

Repeated requests for them to stop fell on deaf ears. I ended up having to
complain to their upstream - exodus.

-Dan