Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Smurf/broadcast "pings"

From: ed () XWING CENTIGRAM COM (UnixGeek)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 17:11:58 -0700

I think you misunderstood the tech's explanation.  Anything should reply
to a broadcast.  The problem is when a single broadcast packet elicits
multiple replies.  We have a PIX, and it certainly isn't a smurf
amplifier.  If yours is, check your config.

                            Edward Mitchell
        Centigram Unix Geek, BOfH, Network Admin, Darth Sysadmin
                         ed () xwing centigram com
                      http://xwing.centigram.com/ed
                          Sheepish Lord of Chaos
"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to using
Windows NT for mission-critical applications."
     -- What Yoda *meant* to say