Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeyd 1.0 DHCP Question

From: <patrickstjohn () gmail com>
Date: 9 Feb 2005 20:45:51 -0000

Ok, I appologize in advance if this is a dumb question. When I'm finished I'll compile some sort of documentation on
some of the new features in Honeyd 1.0.

I think this is the central issue to getting the DHCP to work. I ended up installing a few more NIC's into my machine
(since "dhcp default on eth0" by itself was giving me errors) so now I have:

dhcp default on eth1 "mac address for this card"

The problem however is the same because I have that nic set up to get an ip from dhcp (apparently this is unneeded as
honeyd gets this itself and has it's own dhcp client). If I just set up eth1 to not have an ip (figuring honeyd will
grab an ip for me) I get errors. I'm assuming this is not really a honeyd configuration problem. I think from reading
what Niels has responded with and reading the man pages I have configured everything correctly. So the real question is
this:

How do I have to have my NIC set up in order to not be set up for static ip, set up for dhcp but not grab an address,
and have honeyd grab the address itself instead of having linux grab it?

I'm pretty sure once this central issue is resolved everything will work well. Thanks in advance for putting up with
me. Hopefully the documentation I'm writing will help others with similar issues.

Patrick