Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: rc.firewall script problems

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:04:44 -0600

  My rc.firewall (an exact copy of
http://www.honeynet.org/tools/dcontrol/rc.firewall, except for some
configuration options) does not work properly. The firewall doesn't log
anything or allow any connections outbound. After a lot of tinkering, I
discovered that the -i flag used to specify interface does not seem to be working at all. If I remove the -i flag then the firewall sort-of works (the firewall assumes everything is INBOUND because the inbound lines preceed the
outbound lines). My kernel is 2.6.11.3 and has every netfilter option
enabled. I have rebuilt iptables several times to no avail.
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I get the feeling I am
overlooking something very trivial.

Unfortunately, this script is old and outdated, designed only for the 2.4 kernel. The purpose of the script was for back in the days when you had to roll your own Honeywall. Now we have tools to automate the process. The new Honeywall CDROM 'Roo' will be released this May, replacing the outdated 'Eeyore'. The rc.firewall script you find on the CDROM's (and which we actively maintain) have been greatly changed, modified to work with the Honeywall CDROM's themselves. You can't use it as a standalone without modifying it.

I've pulled the script from our website. We simply don't have the resources to maintain both a CDROM version and standalone. If you are interested in Honeywall technology, and want to use our tools, your best bet is to go with our Honeywall CDROM(s).

lance