Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Heisenberg in the honeypot

From: "Chuck Fullerton" <chuckf69 () ceinetworks com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:55:47 -0400

Harlan,

Since I'm not well versed on the Principle, I'd have to say the application
is flawed.

As far as lab testing, this may work if your a security tester in a large
corporation who have everything they need in the lab to test it.  But what
about the guy with no lab.  The Internet is his lab.  That's why we have
Honeypots.  People scan all the time.  When a Honeypot responds to a scan
favoratively to a cracker, then he just found his target to test it on
(Along with a number of people who don't keep their servers patched).  To
the Cracker, it all looks the same.  It won't be until he's poked around in
the box that he may be able to figure out it's a honeypot.  By then it's too
late.

With Honeypots being used to keep exploits withheld from large scale use...
I think it's just the opposite.  It's honeypots that are first in finding
many of the 0 day exploits.  The administrators of these honeypots can then
investigate what happened and, if valid, report it to the powers that be.
This can then, in turn, elevate the priority of patches for systems.