Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Birthday of terms honeypot and honeynet

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:28:47 -0800

  I'd look for an etymological link between the use of the term
"honeypot" in computer systems, and its use as a spycraft term
dating back to at least the 1950s.  In the latter context, a
"honeypot" was an operation to lure an opposing diplomat or
agent into a compromised situation -- usually sexual -- in order
to obtain blackmail material....

David Gillett