Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeyd Censorship

From: Niels Provos <provos () citi umich edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:17:40 -0400

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 01:51:10PM -0700, Seth Arnold wrote:
The law outlaws technologies that obscure the source or destination of
digital communications from carriers. Honeyd can be configured to fake
the presense of entire networks. That sounds like obscuring the source
or destination to me. But then, I'm not a lawyer recognized by the bar
in any of the states that have passed such laws.
That is my main concern.  The law is extremely broad.  It seems to
apply to almost every networking technology.  It does not require
intend to defraud or harm.  We contacted the university lawyers on the
31st of March but have not heard back from them yet.

Niels.