Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Distribution Choice

From: Richard Stevens <mail () richardstevens de>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 04:42:44 +0200

Hi,

On Sunday 01 June 2003 02:01, Patrick Lang wrote:
Slackware is your friend.  We use it for all the honeynet machines here
at UT Austin.  You can select what you want, its very easy to get a
barebones install, and you can remove the dev tools if you wish.  Plus,
it installs much quicker than Gentoo.

I'm building a Slackware based machine right now as a prototype. Looks very
good indeed. It has been at least 5 years since I last had a look at
Slackware.

We only use Gentoo for 1 thing - the Live CD, and for one purpose only
- Partimage.  We image all of our machines incase we need a full backup
to compare to a cracked machine.

That's a very good hint. I've been looking at partimage for that purpose, too
but I wasn't aware it was on the gentoo live CD. Thanks!

Regards,

Richard