Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Moving forward with definition of honeypots

From: "David Watson" <David.Watson () ioko com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 14:17:59 +0100

Fabien,

I agree. How a honeypot is defined should remain constant but the
context of how it can be used will change.

Borrowing your apple analogy, a honeypot might be "an information system
specifically deployed to covertly capture, record and optionally control
all forms of external interaction".

A honeypot can be used to research network attack techniques, protect
production systems, track unauthorised WLAN access or simply study
background Internet noise. The uses will probably change over time, but
what it is remains constant.

Anyway, just my 2p worth to an interesting discussion.

Thanks,

David

David Watson           Voice: +44 1904 438000
Technical Architect    Fax:   +44 1904 435450
Ioko365       Email: david.watson () ioko com