Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Moving forward with definition of honeypots

From: "Gaydosh, Adam" <GaydoshA () ctcgsc org>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:57:44 -0400

"A honeypot is a information system resource that isolates malicious
activity."

Tried to keep it simple without being overly ambiguous, so that 'isolates
malicious activity' is of sufficiently high-level to encompass the various
honey technologies accurately, without being bogged down by the probable
actions of the operator to those responses, or the credentials of the user.
Also, I like many of the other proposals, but in there effort not to
pigeon-hole honeypot usage, they seem equally applicable to other security
resources (e.g. "A firewall/IDS/honeypot is an information system resource
who's value lies in being probed, attacked, or compromised" is not
incorrect), so I was trying to be more discrete..what do ya'll think?

-adam