funsec mailing list archives

Re: Important Service Announcement

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 16:07:11 -0500

On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 20:31:50 +0000, "Kain, Rebecca (.)" said:
Back when I was young, we got our p0rn via uuencode and we liked it!

Many moons ago, I got a trouble ticket about a user who had 2 complaints:

1) Their mail would take forever to send.
2) My Listserv server was rejecting even short messages with a "message too
large" error.

and lo and behold, where you'd expect a .sig block, there was:

begin 644 qzdf.gif

followed by lots of uuencoded data.  When extracted, it depicted several
people engaging in something that I'm *still* convinced is anatomically
improbable.  So I send the user a polite note to check their config
carefully, as it appears that their .sig block was the cause of the
problem.

About 45 minutes later, I get a reply from the user, sans .sig block,
saying just "Be right back - need to go kill the asshole roommate".