funsec mailing list archives

Windows 8 and wifi

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 16:50:49 -0800

Discovered today that, once you turn wifi off on a Windows 8 (or 8.1) machine, it
is almost impossible to turn it back on.  For example, on a laptop with a wifi
toggle key (toggling the key off to save power or stop broadcasting on a plane),
toggling the key back on doesn't necessarily re-enble the wireless network

In fact, initially I couldn't even remember how I eventually did it.  (And Windows
Help was, as usual, no help.)

(And, yes, I know that Win8 has an "airplane mode" setting, but that isn't
immediately accessible all the time.)

Finally found that if you go to "Network and Sharing Center," then choose
"Change adapter settings," then the "Wi-fi" will show up, and if you
right/information/context menu-click on the *icon* (not the box), then you can
get to re-enable wifi.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
If it's your decision, it's design; if not, it's a requirement.
                                                 - Alastair Cockburn
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade