funsec mailing list archives

Re: B.C. judge certifies class-action suit for men denied gambling winnings

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 23:00:47 -0500

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 11:29:22 -0800, "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" said:
And this week, B.C. Supreme Court Justice John Savage ruled there were
sufficient grounds to certify a class-action for winners denied
because they were in the self-exclusion program.

I suppose there must be some legal reason why the suit was OKed, but it seems
stupid.  They agreed not to collect: they didn't collect.

Well, all certifying for class action means is that even if it *is* stupid,
we may as well litigate it once for everybody and get it over with.

There's probably more legal issues under the covers - for instance, whether
there was any way to *leave* the program once you had signed up for it.

<cue Young Frankenstein clip> "No matter what I say, don't open the door..."