funsec mailing list archives

Re: Why I no longer Jailbreak my IPhone

From: "Peter Evans" <peter () ixp jp>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 12:05:37 +0900

Chaim wrote:
Why not just grow up and get an android ?

Because smartphones should really be called uglyphones?

Far be it from me to be a heathen, but the whole purpose of a phone you can carry is for my
convenience. On the rare occasion that I want to make a phone call, it's there. I seldom answer
it, it isn't for other people to contact me. It's not for playing games, crap like that.

It has nice big buttons that I can operate by touch. It has a whole pile of useless "features" that
I can and do live without. Stereo sound, radio, tv, a dictionary. Sometimes I use the camera, it
has a QR code reader.

It has osaifu-keitai (phone wallet). Now _THAT_ is useful.

Smartphones, be they Samsung or crapple, don't.
Without osaifu-keitai, felica, (I think merkans call this NFC) smartphones are BLOODY USELESS,
all that bling and you can't actually buy shit with them.

This is why in japan, if you have a crapple iphone, you ALSO have to have another phone to make
up for its LACK OF USEFUL FEATURES.

I can travel from one end of the country to the other, by air or train, stay in a hotel, buy stuff,
all that and more with my phone. Indeed, I did the whole home -> fukuoka -> home trip without
a single coin or note in summer.  Still can't do that with anything from Crapple or the evil-goog.
(no windows phones here ^^)

My phone is my train pass, it works in combinis, it can even be used as a credit card. It's also
3 years old and still smartphones haven't caught up *1

*1 AU have some android phones with these features. Just starting to get out there now, but
  they are uglyphones. The shape is not conducive to being held at all.