funsec mailing list archives

Economist's take on cyberwar

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 14:54:04 -0800

The article:
http://www.economist.com/node/16478792

Could possibly have predicted the quality from the flashy cover:
http://media.economist.com/images/images-
magazine/2010/27/ld/201027ldp001.jpg

Basically, I have to agree with the review in slashdot:
http://news.slashdot.org/submission/1274612/Behind-Cyberwar-FUD

It's FUD, lots of random tech with limited analysis, and wimpy "we should all be
nice and play well with others" recommendations.

"What will cyberwar look like? In a new book Richard Clarke, a former White
House staffer in charge of counter-terrorism and cyber-security, envisages a
catastrophic breakdown within 15 minutes. Computer bugs bring down military e-
mail systems; oil refineries and pipelines explode; air-traffic-control systems
collapse; freight and metro trains derail; financial data are scrambled; the electrical
grid goes down in the eastern United States; orbiting satellites spin out of control.
Society soon breaks down as food becomes scarce and money runs out. Worst of
all, the identity of the attacker may remain a mystery."

Sounds like a normal day at the office, in IT ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
`That is not it at all,/That is not what I meant, at all.'
                  `The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock,' T. S. Eliot
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://www.infosecbc.org/links http://twitter.com/rslade