funsec mailing list archives

Re: But Facebook are not spammers - here's a screenshot

From: rackow () mcs anl gov
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 15:53:08 -0500

I've found this debate about Facebook amusing.  I'm going to
try a different way of describing the problem.

I'm not going to call facebook a spammer.  I will claim that
it is a technology that is being abused by spammers to deliver
their spewage.  Considering some of the recent stories coming out
on how they have handled the information they have been provided,
I'd almost consider them a "front" for the spamming industry.  I'm
not saying they are a front company, but have some similar traits.

There are plenty of phishers that find pages like the one you show
in the capture that will loop through filling in the addresses from
their list and the 'optional message' with a some bogus text to
hit their web page or respond to them or ....
Once they get blocked from sending spew under that name, create
another and continue.

It's not the site hosting the web page that's the spammer, but
the abuser of the page.  Still, in most cases the site that's
hosting the web page is the one that gets classified as the
spam source.

In reality it's not the owner of the unpatched home PC that got
infected with some spam bot that is the spammer.  That's just a tool
the spammer uses as a delivery agent.  Still when you go to RBL
the "spammer" you are really targetting the infected PC.

I've gotten a number of these kinds of "be my friend" invites
in the past.  The majority of them have gone back to someone
hyping their little purple pills, fake handbags or rolex watches,
etc etc.  Other come from "Sonja" attempting to involve you with
that cute russian bride available for hourly rates.

Gadi Evron made the following keystrokes:
Attached is a screenshot of what a Facebook invite screen looks like.
Tell me how this is spam, please? Be specific, so that we can discuss
specifics.

     Gadi.