funsec mailing list archives

Re: But Facebook are not spammers - here's a screenshot

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 15:46:03 -0400 (EDT)

Attached is a screenshot of what a Facebook invite screen looks like.
Tell me how this is spam, please?

It's not.  That's not email, so it can't be spam.  (Or, at least, if it
is email, your MUA needs a serious security clout upside the head,
letting email forge all that.  And there are looser definitions of
"spam" which apply to non-email, for example in the MUD world, but I
doubt that's what you're talking about here.)

If you're talking about the email generated by it?

Well, it depends on whom you send it to, since that affects
solicitedness.  All the stuff I've gotten has been spam: it's email,
it's unsolicited, and it's bulk.  I fully expect you to deny it's bulk,
since you've amply demonstrated an utter conviction that it's not spam,
and that's pretty much the only even vaguely attackable point.

Be specific, so that we can discuss specifics.

Why bother?  You'll just deny it, and we'll have another round on the
"is!" "isn't!" merry-go-round.  I don't see the point.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org