funsec mailing list archives

Re: Moving Beyond Domain Names

From: Martin Tomasek <tomasek () ufe cz>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:14:47 +0100

Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah napsal(a):
Lauren Weinstein recently noted to his Network Neutrality Squad mailing list:

We may well have reached (or already passed) the point where we should
be working seriously toward the ultimate elimination of domain names
as the primary user-facing addressing aspect of the World Wide Web as
perceived by most of its users.

Why not? Domain names are useless anyway: hardly any basic network applications use them, and they just hide the reality of IP addresses from
users.  Out with 'em!  Any fool who can use "My Computer" can learn to recognize
127.0.0.1!

Number conspiracy! Those damn mathematicians are trying to do control us all again! They tried to conceal the numbers behind DNS.

BTW, today is zeitgeist day, http://zday2010.org/

--
Martin Tomasek