funsec mailing list archives

Moving Beyond Domain Names

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:26:47 -0800

Lauren Weinstein recently noted to his Network Neutrality Squad mailing list:

We may well have reached (or already passed) the point where we should
be working seriously toward the ultimate elimination of domain names
as the primary user-facing addressing aspect of the World Wide Web as
perceived by most of its users.

Why not?  Domain names are useless anyway: hardly any basic network
applications use them, and they just hide the reality of IP addresses from
users.  Out with 'em!  Any fool who can use "My Computer" can learn to recognize
127.0.0.1!

Just think: by eliminating domain names, we avoid all the security issues with
DNS!

And when we move to IPv6, who is going to have a problem remembering 39
character hex addresses?  OK, a few technopeasants might object, but that just
gives the redirection/URL shortening sites more inventive to pay a little extra
for the "low" addresses.  What am I bid for ::1?  Heck, it's even shorter than
bit.ly (which some mailing list whose name escapes me at the moment uses fairly
consistently ...)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
                       Why be normal?                  - rms
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade