funsec mailing list archives

Weather forecast for OTlympics

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:52:00 -0800

If you have been following Olympic coverage at all, you will know that the big
story of these games is not the doping, not the cost overruns (and the hidden
ones, pushing cost per capita to $2K for every man, woman, and child in BC), not
the over-eager border guards, Not the implicit fight between the region and one of
the major sponsors (
http://links.cbc.ca/a/l.x?T=jncickgambkkiicafkinlonldeho&M=34 ), not the idiots
trying to get some press time out of this by predicting an influx of "hackers" (
http://www.vancouversun.com/Games+sure+bring+gold+medal+hackers+town+expe
rt+war ns/2544449/story.html ), and not the massive security presence (heard last
night of cancer patient who, because of airport security, will not be allowed to
come to Vancouver for treatment during the games), but the weather.

http://www.cbc.ca/bc/features/roadtothegames/weather.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Weekend+forecast+gloomy+slushy+Cyp
ress+events/2549879/story.html

Snow being trucked in from two different mountain ranges to try and get
something on the tiny run on Cypress.  Fog thick enough to cancel practice
sessions on Whistler.  My wife has taken to referring to the Spring Olympics.
Freestyle slushboarding.  Mud luge.  Figure skidding.  Giant downhilll (blind) slide.
And, as for Vancouver:

Text Forecast: Issued at  5.00 AM PST Wednesday 10 February 2010
Today..Cloudy. Rain beginning this morning. Amount 5 mm. Becoming windy late
this afternoon. High 7. Tonight..Rain ending this evening then cloudy with 60
percent chance of showers. Amount 5 mm. Windy. Temperature steady near 6.
Thursday..Rain. Amount 20 mm. Becoming windy. High 9. Friday..Periods of rain.
Low 6. High 10. Saturday..Periods of rain. Low 6. High 9. Sunday..Cloudy with 70
percent chance of showers. Low plus 5. High 9. Monday..Cloudy with 30 percent
chance of showers. Low plus 4. High 9. Tuesday..Cloudy with 30 percent chance of
showers. Low plus 4. High 9. Normals for the period..Low plus 1. High 8.

(Last week we had some lovely sun.  Too bad it's all gone now.)

In true Canadian fashion, we will apologize all over the place for the lousy weather.

In reality, this is working out just the way we planned it.

Let's face it, Vancouver doesn't do snow.  I can recall, 30 years ago, driving down
the main drag, looking at the North Shore Mountains, and seeing the giant brown
patch on Grouse Mountain with absolutely no snow at all.  Feb. 6, it was.  At the
time, I was listening to a news report about snow falling in Miami.

All you have to do, to track the El Nino cycles, is to track the pattern of
bankruptcies of the North Shore ski hills.  They happen regularly.  So, years back,
the Powers-That-Be looked at the cycles, extended them, and realized that 2010
would be a no-snow year.  Perfect.  Book the games!  (In the interim, this forecast
has been solidified by the global warming trend.)

(We could not have predicted that Intrawest, the owner of most of the Whistler
resorts, would have gotten itself into embarrassing financial trouble right before
the games.  That the new [American] owners went bankrupt, and then made stupid
statements all over the press about shuttering the place and holding an auction
during the games, was just icing on the cake.)

We made sure of having a cold winter last year so that everything is late blooming
this year.  Normally the place would be covered in cherry and forsythia blassoms.
This year, dead sticks.

See, if we are going to have the TV (and Web) cameras of the entire world here
for two weeks, we don't want to have the place looking its best.  Everybody would
want to move here.  Sorry, but we don't have room for you all.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the
man who can't read them.                                - Mark Twain
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade