funsec mailing list archives

Re: Was the ClimateGate Hacker Justified? Join the Debate!

From: Michael Graham <jmgraham () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:04:25 -0800

Climate change science is wrong and I don't believe their research
results say what the "scientists" claim they say.  Also I am
completely unqualified to have an opinion on the basics involved.

-emails get leaked-

Wait no only the numbers they want to show us are wrong!  The numbers
they have CONSPIRED to hide from us are correct!

THIS PROVES THAT THE SCIENCE, WHICH I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND, IS WRONG
BY IT HAVING THE RIGHT NUMBERS AS OUTLIERS AND THE WRONG NUMBERS AS
CONFIRMED AND THE SCIENTISTS BEING WORRIED ABOUT IDIOTS LIKE ME USING
THE OUTLIERS TO CONFUSE PEOPLE!

I know, let's open wide ranging and unqualified debate on this and
therefore confuse as many people as possible so nothing actually
happens based on these WRONG SCIENCE CONSPIRACIES!

---------------------

Here's the thing.  Debate on the specifics is only useful when it
involves only qualified parties and perhaps outsiders who can relate
the events to those unqualified to form their own opinions on the
subject.  I don't invite the interns working on the SAN to debate the
finer points of a detailed risk analysis.  They don't have the context
to understand the terminology and while they probably think they're
plenty smart to be involved, they're wrong.  So are you.

One of the great lies of the internet is that we're all geniuses who
can be involved with any subject through enough research on google.
Well we're not and the inability to know when you're not qualified to
form your own opinion on something is probably the best indicator that
you should be ignored on anything and everything outside your core
experience.

Even if you are smart enough, even if you are willing to spend
LITERALLY WEEKS researching the subject, in this subject you are
functionally retarded when compared to people who have spent 20+ years
doing hard data research on the subject.