funsec mailing list archives

Re: Was the ClimateGate Hacker Justified? Join the Debate!

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:04:33 +0200

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 19:11:10 +0200, Gadi Evron said:

Dude, some of it is obviously out of context, and some of it can be
explained away as terminology. But some emails CLEARLY state to delete
data for the sole purpose of hiding it from the denialist "idiots",
rather than any other reason. The emails have been verified as true.

OK Gadi, if I had sent you a link to this photo:

http://www.xenophilia.com/zb/zb0008/essa-7-19681123.jpg

and attached the text "Don't let the hollow-earther idiots see this, they'll
jump all over it", would I be part of the conspiracy trying to conceal the
existence of a hollow earth?  Just sayin'...

Yes, you know and I know that it's a composite of multiple pictures, and
the dark area is the North Pole being in shadow all day (the picture being
from November).  But yes, some idiots who didn't understand it was a composite
or the fact the earth's axis is tilted stilljumped on it...

http://www.xenophilia.com/zb0008f.htm

Man, if I had a dollar for every time in the last 30 years I've said something
like "Whatever you do, don't let upper management see the data till after I've
applied the corrections for A, B, and C, because they'll just look at it and
get the totally wrong idea, wait till I have some Powerpoints with the
filtered data".

Anybody on this list (a) *not* ever sent a memo like that and (b) has been in
this business more than a year? ;)

Have you been caught? Did you just spin the data by framing it, or lie
about it completely? Did you sin to being a scientist and lose your
moral highground? Have you conspired in EMAIL?

If you answered yes to 2 of these...

And we are not talking about whether the politics of the scientists were
well played, or horrendous. We speak of the hacker.

        Gadi.