funsec mailing list archives

Re: When are we going to start profiling? WAS RE: Don't spend too much time in the bathroom...PLEASE

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:57:23 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Blue Boar [mailto:BlueBoar () thievco com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:02 PM
To: Tomas L. Byrnes
Cc: funsec () linuxbox org; RandallM
Subject: Re: [funsec] When are we going to start profiling? WAS RE:
Don't spend too much time in the bathroom...PLEASE

Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
It used to be that security was run by the airlines, and many of the
policies that were in place then were adopted by the TSA.

IS that agreement that it's a government body imposing restrictions
rather than private airlines, then?

How who paid for it is relevant to the concept of a "Right" to fly
is
beyond me.

I thought you were making an argument that these were restrictions
imposed by private owners?

Where are you on the concept of the right to travel?

http://www.usconstitution.net/constnot.html#travel

                                              BB
[Tomas L. Byrnes]
The right to freedom of association is a given. However, that doesn't
mean you have a right to the means of travel. We can debate whether you
have a right to drive on public roads, and I happen to think the current
regime has gone too far in its treatment of that as a privilege. It's
pretty settled law that you don't have a right to drive your own car on
the highway, so it's even more settled that you don't have a right to
fly on an airplane owned by someone else.