funsec mailing list archives

Re: I don't recognize it, so it must be a bomb

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 05:50:25 -0400

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 09:23:50AM -0700, chris () blask org wrote:
FOX is a platform for capturing hard-right to extreme-right
viewers/listeners, MSNBC is primarily a platform for capturing hard-left
to extreme-left viewers (but they start every day on the hard-right,
selling to both sides) and CNN is selling it's wares to the soft chewy
center (folks like me, I regret to say, when I can't stand the hyperbole
of the first two).
$
None of these infotainment channels qualify as news media.

Now *that's* certainly true.  We haven't had actual news media for quite
some time -- with some notable, bright exceptions here and there.  It's
truly a pity when shows expressly designed for satire end up being far
more incisive than anything put forth by "news departments".  And newspapers,
unfortunately, are not immune to this trend; the quality of reporting
in nearly all of them continues to decline, as many have been reduced to
mere stenographers for whatever line of BS some politician or corporate
spokesliar is peddling.  (See "runup to invasion of Iraq; media complicity
in fiasco due in part to failure to ask hard questions".)

Of course, Fox makes no pretense of being anything other than a propaganda
channel: any network which puts mentally ill people like Glenn Beck on the
air clearly wants nothing to do with actual journalism.

Come back Walter Cronkite, and I.F. Stone, and Hunter S. Thompson,
and please on please come back Edward R. Murrow.

But MSNBC's position?  Overall, slightly left-of-center.  Keep in mind,
as Bill Maher has so astutely put it:

        "This is because we don't have a left and a right party in this
        country any more. We have a center right party, and a crazy
        party. And over the last thirty odd years, Democrats have moved
        to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital."

I frequently laugh at the clueless morons who label some contemporary
politicians as "hard left" and similar terms: they have no idea what
they're talking about, either because they've failed to study recent
history or because they're simply not intelligent enough to comprehend it.

---Rsk