funsec mailing list archives

Re: what are you favorite publications? [was: population controls]

From: quispiam lepidus <quispiam.lepidus () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:27:06 +1000

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Gadi Evron<ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
I am lazy with reading magazines, but here goes.

For my daily news and cool I have my RSS feed, friends, and
facebook/twitter. I am lazy on watching them, but I see enough.

For security news, I get the raw data rather than any publication. I
often miss stuff outside of my interest fields and hear about them from
 friends, facebook, twitter, or not at all.

My favorite publications are:

- The Economist (weekly) -- it gives a neutral to left-wing view of news
from the whole world in 80 pages or less. While it used to be better, it
gives a perspective on world and business matters which are beyond who
did what. Business, international law and historical perspective all
over the place.

- New Yorker (weekly) -- started reading it this week, and I am very
pleased with the fun style, serious research and well-balanced thinking.

- Wired (monthly) -- Fun. Geek. Good stories on the world around us to
enrich us beyond just the news. From the story behind trying to make the
iphone happen to the business behind Marvel comic book movies.

- Blazer (monthly) -- Israeli Maxim-type publication I nearly never get to.

I make a good effort to read the Economist, but it comes and goes in
cycles. I always enjoy reading the rest but don't get to them as often
as I'd like. My reading time is limited and my Internet access and 1000
unread books keep me busy enough.

Radio:
When in the States I like listening to NPR on the road.

TV:
BBC and similar are almost as biased as Fox News in my opinion, only to
the left. With much greater ethos to carry the b/s.

It is unfortunate that left-wing news sources are as a rule of thumb
better than right-wing ones, but not by much. Fox News is just Really
That Bad.

What are yours?

       Gadi.

These are technically publications, but they serve the same purpose for me.

Funsec :) - For stuff I'd probably not read otherwise (time poor)

*NOG@ for all things network

FD for entertainment (well, sometimes)

MegaTokyo (http://www.megatokyo.com/strip/9 - classic!) to break up
the monotony.