funsec mailing list archives

what are you favorite publications? [was: population controls]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:01:55 +0300

Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
Personally, I read The Economist for analysis, and get my news from
CNBC, the WSJ, Al-Beeb (BBC), Le Figaro, Fox and CNN, and my local
paper's on-line site.

I get my tech news from IEEE journals, SecurityFocus, and ZDNet.

I am lazy with reading magazines, but here goes.

For my daily news and cool I have my RSS feed, friends, and
facebook/twitter. I am lazy on watching them, but I see enough.

For security news, I get the raw data rather than any publication. I
often miss stuff outside of my interest fields and hear about them from
  friends, facebook, twitter, or not at all.

My favorite publications are:

- The Economist (weekly) -- it gives a neutral to left-wing view of news
from the whole world in 80 pages or less. While it used to be better, it
gives a perspective on world and business matters which are beyond who
did what. Business, international law and historical perspective all
over the place.

- New Yorker (weekly) -- started reading it this week, and I am very
pleased with the fun style, serious research and well-balanced thinking.

- Wired (monthly) -- Fun. Geek. Good stories on the world around us to
enrich us beyond just the news. From the story behind trying to make the
iphone happen to the business behind Marvel comic book movies.

- Blazer (monthly) -- Israeli Maxim-type publication I nearly never get to.

I make a good effort to read the Economist, but it comes and goes in
cycles. I always enjoy reading the rest but don't get to them as often
as I'd like. My reading time is limited and my Internet access and 1000
unread books keep me busy enough.

Radio:
When in the States I like listening to NPR on the road.

TV:
BBC and similar are almost as biased as Fox News in my opinion, only to
the left. With much greater ethos to carry the b/s.

It is unfortunate that left-wing news sources are as a rule of thumb
better than right-wing ones, but not by much. Fox News is just Really
That Bad.

What are yours?

        Gadi.