funsec mailing list archives

glowing monkeys

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 18:45:11 +0300

When I read news like this, I day dream science fiction for at least 20
minutes. Sometimes I even write it down.

Scientists create glowing Monkeys!
"Genetically modified primates that glow green and pass the trait on to
their offspring could aid the fight against human disease."

This follows the news of the now famous, cloned, glowing cats:
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/12/13/514602.aspx

I think my next project will involve glowing spiders so I can smite more
of them, or maybe glowing mosquitoes. Maybe glowing terrorists?

More importantly, how do we name a glowing beverage?

My first thought was "glowing coke", my second was "stick light", after
the the glowing sticks of light. Then I said both out loud. That was
fun! That now X-rated idea was dropped. :)

All this just so I can come up with the idea of a GLOWING BEER, because
beer is good and inventing catch phrases is so easy. An advertiser's dream.
Example: Light up your life!

Side-tracked a bit, yes, but I can't help but wonder about GLOWING
HUMANS. If we all glowed at night at some point (say, because of them
monkeys or mosquitoes), I feel sorry for the leper who is born with the
genetic error, who won't glow. Poor kid, will probably get thrown into
trash-cans in school.

Brining it down a notch, developing a drink for clubs, which makes you
glow for a few hours, would be an interesting marketing concept. :)

Bringing the whole email down to a more current subject of discussion
(while staying in the realm of science fiction), it would be an
interesting and scary way of causing mass extinction in animals, whether
predator or the eaten.

Happy Shavuot,

        Gadi.