funsec mailing list archives

Re: outsourced call centers costing millions in identity theft

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:03:50 -0800

"A former Chase call center rep tells the story about this one thief who was
able to rip off one customer for over $40,000, thanks to his constant outwitting
out the internationally out-sourced security department.

"The Americans would beg and plead with the Filipinos to not unblock the
account, and over and over again they would. Says our insider, if US security
had been able to intervene from the get-go, he would never have been able to
do so much financial damage."

http://consumerist.com/5069018/how-outsourced-call-centers-are-costing-millions-
in-identity-theft

Well, everyone knows I am not a fan of outsourcing.  However, I think that
outsourcing, per se, may be getting a bad rap on this one.

Why *couldn't* the "US security" intervene?  Why wasn't there a provision for
an alert on the account?  Why wasn't there a lock on the account requiring that it
be dealt with locally?  Why wasn't there either a flag or a lock on the account
requiring at least a supervisor be involved?

I don't see just dumb call centre staff here.  I see bad design.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has
magic, power, and genius in it.         - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/