funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fedora confirms: Our servers were breached

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:54:13 -0400

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:25:38 EDT, Larry Seltzer said:
Yes, the fact that Fedora isn't RHEL.

OK, thanks, I see that. Let me get something straight here:

... the intruder was able to sign a small number of OpenSSH packages
relating only to Red Hat Enterprise Linux...

So the suspicion is that the intruder inserted malicious code (or maybe
the Debian random number generator?) into the packages and signed them?

I have no news as to what was in the backdoored packages.

Is anyone else as appalled by this as I am? Has there been such a
compromise of a major OS before?

I guess you missed when the machine windowsupdate.microsoft.com got pwned
by CodeRed a few years ago.. ;)

You also probably missed when the openssh and sendmail servers got hacked
a few years ago, both had trojan'ed tarballs dropped in that would do an
"ET Phone home" when the sysadmin built the kit (*not* when it ran).  In
neither case did the attacker manage to PGP-sign the tarballs, but few people
checked.

One could also argue that *way* back when Karger&Schell did their pen-test
analysis of Multics, that Multics was a major OS at the time...

In other words: "This kind of shit happens all the time". ;)

I also have to say that this is the first I've heard that RH and/or
Fedora sign their distribution packages. Is this common among Linux
distros?

I don't know about Debian, but Ubuntu apparently does:

% gpg --list-keys --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg
/etc/apt/trusted.gpg
pub   1024D/437D05B5 2004-09-12
uid                  Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster () ubuntu com>
sub   2048g/79164387 2004-09-12

pub   1024D/FBB75451 2004-12-30
uid                  Ubuntu CD Image Automatic Signing Key <cdimage () ubuntu com>