funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fedora confirms: Our servers were breached

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:51:02 -0400

Holy crap, that's quite a breach.

Note that RedHat says, on the one hand, that

...based on our efforts, we have high confidence
that the intruder was not able to capture the passphrase used to
secure
the Fedora package signing key. Based on our review to date, the
passphrase was not used during the time of the intrusion on the
system
and the passphrase is not stored on any of the Fedora servers."

On the other hand, they have issued a critical openssh security update
(http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2008-0855.html)
the description of which says:

In connection with the incident, the intruder was able to sign a
small
number of OpenSSH packages relating only to Red Hat Enterprise Linux
4
(i386 and x86_64 architectures only) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
(x86_64
architecture only). As a precautionary measure, we are releasing an
updated version of these packages, and have published a list of the
tampered packages and how to detect them at
http://www.redhat.com/security/data/openssh-blacklist.html

Is there a subtle distinction I'm missing here?

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com