funsec mailing list archives

Re: Completely Off-Topic: Food Rationing Confronts Breadbasket of the World

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:36:30 -0400

Ferg,

At home, we love Basmati rice, and it's pretty much the only
rice we buy -- we get ours from an Indian grocer in Sunnyvale.

India is restricting rice exports.  You'll have to buy domestic instead:

U.S. Rice Sector Has Promising Outlook
http://sev.prnewswire.com/agriculture/20080420/NYSU00120042008-1.html

Total U.S. rice exports for 2007/08 are forecast to increase approximately
20 percent from the previous year -- in part due to export restrictions
imposed by Vietnam and India. In the United States, rough rice exports
largely destined for Mexico and Central America, are forecast to improve 14
percent from the previous year. Additionally, U.S. milled rice exports are
forecast to jump 25 percent; although still 10 percent below the 2005-06
crop year.

Kingdom to Put Pressure on India to Ease Rice Exports
http://www.arabnews.com/?page=6&section=0&article=109129&d=20&m=4&y=2008

JEDDAH, 20 April 2008 - Minister of Commerce and Industry Abdullah Zainal
Alireza told Saudi traders that the government would put pressure on New
Delhi to ease rice exports to the Kingdom, press reports said yesterday
quoting traders.

The move comes after the Indian Parliament asked producers to stop export of
all types of rice, including basmati. Saudi traders expect government
intervention to force Indian rice exporters to honor the deals they had
signed with them.

Richard