funsec mailing list archives

Completely Off-Topic: Food Rationing Confronts Breadbasket of the Worl d

From: "Paul Ferguson" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:18:47 GMT

This is mind-boggling.

Via The New York Sun.

[snip]

Many parts of America, long considered the breadbasket of the world, are
now confronting a once unthinkable phenomenon: food rationing.

Major retailers in New York, in areas of New England, and on the West Coast
are limiting purchases of flour, rice, and cooking oil as demand outstrips
supply. There are also anecdotal reports that some consumers are hoarding
grain stocks.

At a Costco Warehouse in Mountain View, Calif., yesterday, shoppers grew
frustrated and occasionally uttered expletives as they searched in vain for
the large sacks of rice they usually buy.

“Where’s the rice?” an engineer from Palo Alto, Calif., Yajun Liu,
said. “You should be able to buy something like rice. This is
ridiculous.”

The bustling store in the heart of Silicon Valley usually sells four or
five varieties of rice to a clientele largely of Asian immigrants, but only
about half a pallet of Indian-grown Basmati rice was left in stock. A
20-pound bag was selling for $15.99.

“You can’t eat this every day. It’s too heavy,” a health care
executive from Palo Alto, Sharad Patel, grumbled as his son loaded two
sacks of the Basmati into a shopping cart. “We only need one bag but
I’m getting two in case a neighbor or a friend needs it,” the elder man
said.

The Patels seemed headed for disappointment, as most Costco members were
being allowed to buy only one bag. Moments earlier, a clerk dropped two
sacks back on the stack after taking them from another customer who tried
to exceed the one-bag cap.

[snip]

More:
http://nysun.com/news/food-rationing-confronts-breadbasket-world

Wow.

- - ferg

p.s. Being in Silicon Valley, I can certainly  vouch for this.
At home, we love Basmati rice, and it's pretty much the only
rice we buy -- we get ours from an Indian grocer in Sunnyvale.
We haven't seen any issues there yet, but this is an ominous
development.

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg(at)netzero.net